Monday, June 9, 2008

Summer Reading


We went a little bit crazy at Green Apple Books this weekend (which if you haven't been there is a great rambling bookstore on Clement St. in San Francisco). Hopefully some of the books I got will be on my recommendations list at the end of the summer.

In the meantime, here's info on the best books I've read so far this year:

The Road

I love post-apocolyptic fiction like Oryx and Crake or The Stand and this one is right up there in terms of imagining what it would be like if we finally orchestrated our own demise. I got The Road by Cormac McCarthy for Christmas and I think I devoured it in two days, but the imagery from the book stayed with me for days and days after. This is definitely a pretty dark book, but I loved it.


What is the What

I bought What is the What by Dave Eggers. and then didn't actually pick it up for quite a while. However, once I started reading it I could not stop. This novel is based on a real person, Valentino, and his experiences in Sudan during the 80's and 90's as one of the "Lost Boys" forced to journey to refugee camps in Ethiopa and Kenya. It may sound like a depressing story, but I actually found the book to be full of hope and there are some funny moments in it.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

I thought I might be annoyed by Elizabeth Gilbert's travelogue Eat, Pray, Love, but was immediately drawn in by her candid and funny writing. This is the account of a travel writer who embarks on a soul-searching trip after being devastated by a divorce. Definitely made me want to travel myself and especially to go to Bali!

No comments: