Thursday, September 4, 2008

Kimonos

I've been thinking about sewing a kimono for myself so was doing some online research to get an idea of what they look like. In the process I found a couple good sites for purchasing a vintage kimono. Some of these are so beautiful I would rather hang them on the wall them wear them. However, I think I may invest in one of the more simple ones to wear out.

Ichiroya Kimono Flea Market

This site is organized by kimono style and has an extensive selection of vintage and contemporary kimonos. I tend to like the Furisodes which are the elaborate kimonos often worn for coming of age ceromonies.

Some of the vintage garments are quite expensive. For example, I like the vintage Furisode above for $600.

Many of the more simple kimono's on the site are in the $50-$120 range. For example, this vintage vermillion kimono with a fan motif is $120.


This site does not have as wide a selection, but does have a decent collection of 1970's Furisode's and kimonos that are reasonably priced.

I like this 1970's Furisode (above) for $180. Or this unused vintage purple kimono at right for $60 that still has the basting stitches in the sleeves!

No comments: