Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Voodoo Magic

I love these little string voodoo dolls ($10-$12). I bought a ninja voodoo baby a couple years ago that hangs from my rear view mirror of my car. They come in a variety of models (including some cute ones just released for Halloween) and new ones come out all the time.

Each doll comes with special powers to protect, bring good fortune or punish others. They make great gifts and stocking stuffers and can be used as key chains or hook to a purse or backpack.

What I didn't realize was the history and controversy surrounding these little dolls! There are a variety of companies selling them and all of them claim to be the original version.

If my internet research is to be believed the dolls apparently originated in Northern Thailand. These dolls are called Saan Ha dolls and there are a handful of companies that appear to distribute these same dolls including Charm Voodoo (North America), Voodoo Baby (North America) and Kamibashi (Canada). I need to do some more digging to confirm this information. If anyone has info to the contrary please let me know!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there,
First of all, I'd like to thank you for your recognition of my company Charm Voodoo. You are 100% accurate in that Saan Ha dolls are the original string voodoo doll and originate from Northern Thailand. They are a OTOP product which mean one tambon (translation:province or district) one product. Saan Ha dolls are only made in one area of Thailand by one community of people. If you have any questions about the products, I'm always available at loraine@charmvoodoo.com.
Thanks
Loraine