Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dress it up!

I love the green salad this Lebanese restaurant in Montreal makes and have tried to recreate it at home. I have been using the following recipe that I think comes pretty close. I've been making it every day this summer!



I think the key to get the extra lemony flavor is sumac, which is a reddish ground herb you can find at middle eatern markets. I found sumac at Adonis Market in Montreal which is an AMAZING grocery store if you haven't been.



Lebanese Salad Dressing

1 clove of garlic minced
Juice of 1 large lemon
Equal amount of extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
Bunch of fresh mint (about ½ cup), coarsely chopped
1 tsp ground sumac


Serve this dressing over a salad of romaine lettuce with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, onions (that have been pre-soaked in salt-water).

No comments: