Friday, November 14, 2008

I Heart Paris

I was just on in Paris on a business trip and had a day to myself to explore the city. I was so inspired by the crystal clear Fall day with blue, blue skies that I bought a Holga large format camera (at left) at the Paris store Colette and sat down in the Tuileries and loaded it with film right away. Hopefully the pics come out!

Here's a few of my favorite finds from my wanderings. I think all total I walked about 8 hours that day. By no means an exhaustive list, but I did manage to stumble on quite a few interesting shops.

Zadig & Voltaire

Zadig & Voltaire is a great boutique designed around the concept of "affordable luxury" with t-shirts and cashmere sweaters decorated with crystals, skulls and slogans like "Paris Rocks", "Muse" and "Elvis" (€ 80.00). Very casual and rock n' roll.

Cashmere sweaters also come with great logos and designs although they run a bit more expensive like this yellow sweater with the slogan, "Just Rock" (€ 268.00).

Zadig & Voltaire carries great bags, shoes and jewelry as well as a men's and children's line. If you can't make it to one of their stores (they have on in L.A. among other places) you can shop online on their e-store.

Matières à Réflexion Paris

This boutique in the Marais features a line of bags made from vintage leather jackets and army jackets as well as a selection of jewelry and apparel from local French designers.
I bought a silver bracelet from designer House of Done that features tiny silver chain that has been crocheted (at left) (€ 75). I also picked up a great pair of fingerless mittens and a purple keffiyeh scarf of the kind that is popular among French students.

I definitely recommend this store for finding that special something made in France. You can view some of their wares on the website or visit in person at:
19 rue de Poitou - Paris 75003 +33 (0)1 42 72 16 31

DOM Christian Koban

A vraiment hypercool lifestyle boutique with edgy and inexpensive housewares, accessories, clothing and furniture. I was tempted by a "Hells Kitchen" vinyl wall sticker.

You can view a video on the website which showcases some of their products. Wish they had an online store, but unfortunately you have to visit them in person at one of there locations including the Paris store:

21, Rue Ste. Croix de la Bretonnerie +33 (0)1 42 71 08 00

Publicis Drugstore
Right next to where I was staying on the Champs-Élysées was this great drugstore, magazine kiosk, gift shop, restaurant and take-out food emporium called Publicis Drugstore. Open until 2am every night which was extremely convenient.

In the L'Épicerie I was able to find great gluten-free and dairy-free salads like ginger quinoa or lentil carrot as well as sushi, juices, chocolates, etc.

The store carries a selection of Kiehl's, Shu Uemura and Acqua di Parma products. There were also great bags, children's clothes, paper goods and electronics. Definitely worth seeking out!

133 avenue des Champs-Elysées 75008 Tél : 33(0)1 44 43 79 00

Le 66
I did not have time to check out this new mega fashion emporium on the Champs-Elysées. However, I did peer through the windows when the store was closed and it will be top of my list when I have the occasion to go back to Paris again.
66 Avenue Des Champs-Elysées, 75008 Paris

No comments: