Friday, May 1, 2009

Utilitarian Chic

Maybe because times are tough right now, but suddenly I find myself drawn to simple, utilitarian pieces that can do double duty--can be worn for work, but also worn casually on the weekend. I can't tell you how many nice pieces spend most of their time in my closet!

Chambray Shirt

This Japanese selvedge cotton chambray shirt ($88) is actually inspired by vintage workwear from the early 1900's. Stone washed and with a relaxed fit this is a piece that could easily be dressed up for work with a nice pair of trousers or dressed down for the weekend with khaki's and a t-shirt. Available online only at jcrew.com.

Cargo Jacket

This army green jacket ($98) in cotton poplin has a cinch tie at the waist and a great hood. Light enough to wear in summer months for just a bit of coverage. I love the idea of dressing this up a bit with a pencil skirt or trousers during the week and then using it as a go-to jacket on the weekends.

Pleated Cropped Trouser

I am obsessing about this silhouette of a pleated trouser, worn a bit loose that is then rolled up and cuffed and worn with heels. These trousers from Ever ($245) with tapered legs are perfect for that look. Best of all they can be dressed up or down. On the weekend I would wear them with sneakers and a t-shirt. Made of 65% polyester, 35% rayon in charcoal grey. Available from revolveclothing.com.

Jumpsuit

I love this olive green jumpsuit ($128) from Free People with the look of a flight suit or uniform. Made of a linen and cotton blend with zip front closure. The bottom of the pants can be drawn in with a drawstring closure or worn loose. I would wear this with heels and am actually afraid to buy it because I think I would wear it every day! Available at freepeople.com.

No comments: