Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Country Classics

All this July rain here in Quebec is making me think about Fall sweaters, jackets and boots. I just got the latest issue of Martha Stewart Living and got inspired by their article on classics. In this economy it seems wiser to splurge on a few well-made, quality basics that will never go out of style. Here's what I'm coveting right now:


Barbour Jacket

This 100-year old British company makes, "...a wardrobe of clothes for country pursuits, country living and for those that simply love the country".

This ladies flyweight international wax quilted jacket ($354) is not only practical, but completely fierce. It would be pefect for the cool, wet night in the country, but I would wear it in the city too.

There are many lesser priced styles I would gladly take as well--especially the quilted jackets. Note: these jackets are in UK sizes so a US size 8 would be a UK 12.



Aran Sweater

I love these classic wool fisherman's sweaters. Hammacher Schlemmer has these hand knit classics on sale right now for only $89.95. Made from merino wool is creamy ecru, I'm sure at this price they won't last long.


Hermes Scarf

I've never been into the big status brands, but I have to say that the Hermes scarf is one item that I would consider splurging on. Each scarf can take up to 1000 hours to complete from design to handstitching the hem.

I love this Christopher Columbus design ($375) in shades of brown, orange and green.

No comments: